Journey Toward a Healthier Lifestyle

Welcome to my blog! I am often asked questions in regard to fitness and nutrition. I am no professional in either one of these fields, but I do know first hand the joys of trying to stay fit and healthy while being a full-time mom. It is easier than many think and I hope to help teach others (mothers or not) the best way to eat without devoting a great deal of money on the latest fad. It is about developing a lifestyle change that you can benefit from and pass on to your children and loved ones. My husand and I have both seen and felt the positive results of what I am sharing with you and I hope you do as well. Enjoy!



Monday, July 18, 2011

Bouncing Back

For most of us, we succumb to a moment of weakness and let a goal take the back burner to our wants.  I have been MIA because of a small family vacation and then trying to finish up a class that was anything but fun.  I was excited to write about trying to stay fit and healthy during a vacation where temptations are all around.  Instead I find myself beginning to write about how temptation won for 4 days and only 30 minutes of cardio managed to be accomplished.  I was disappointed that I did not do so well and fairly annoyed with myself for not having some more self-control.  I am going to turn this into a positive and discuss the joys of bouncing back after a major slip. 
            I know that in the past I have slipped and it was only the beginning of a downward spiral that was quickly negating all of the progress I had made at that point.  I let my motivation slide and disappoint rule.  This time around I let the guilt and disappointment fuel my motivation and drive me toward not having to feel like that next time.  I accepted the fact that I ate like a glorious piggy and then got back to reality when I got home.  I had my fun, I gave myself an upset stomach, and now it is time to feel better again.  With my husband on leave I thought I would have plenty of time to jump back into my routine, but the truth is that it made things even harder.  I resolved to at least get my diet back on track and my morning workout will start tomorrow (not today because Monday was a rest day before).
            One thing we cannot do is beat ourselves up.  It does not do anything positive to your psyche and a few days are not going to completely derail noticeable progress to the point of no return.  As disappointed as I was, I did not fall too far behind.  It is not impossible to get yourself back on track.  It is not about being on a diet, it is about a lifestyle change.  It is not a temporary fad that I attempt to talk about; it is about being a healthier individual for the rest of your life.  It is not fun feeling guilty about what you eat so you should not do that to yourself.  Self-improvement is a mental mindset.  If you do not want it you will not attain it or manage to hold on to the progress.  It is never about the smallest size you can get yourself down to, but your own self-perception and how you feel both inside and out. 
            Life is far too short to beat yourself up over past events that you cannot change.  Everything is a learning experience and a choice you make.  Being in better shape makes me feel better about myself.  It is something I do for myself and the results so far are something I am proud of and helping to aid in my next goal.  Gluttony was not long term and is now a lesson learned.  I will be sure to post a recipe the next time I post to show how it is still easy to jump back on track by eating something delicious and healthy for you and your family.   

No comments:

Post a Comment