Journey Toward a Healthier Lifestyle

Welcome to my blog! I am often asked questions in regard to fitness and nutrition. I am no professional in either one of these fields, but I do know first hand the joys of trying to stay fit and healthy while being a full-time mom. It is easier than many think and I hope to help teach others (mothers or not) the best way to eat without devoting a great deal of money on the latest fad. It is about developing a lifestyle change that you can benefit from and pass on to your children and loved ones. My husand and I have both seen and felt the positive results of what I am sharing with you and I hope you do as well. Enjoy!



Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shrimp Pasta

This is a recipe that all six members of my family enjoy.  I will admit, my oldest daughter is not a fan of tomatoes so she tends to pick them out.  One day I will get that girl to eat a tomato (and know she is eating one) and like it!  This is my shrimp pasta.  I am a busy mommy so I do cheat a bit and I get frozen shrimp.  If you have time you can get raw shrimp and just throw them into the mix earlier than I put in the precooked shrimp. 
This is a fairly simple meal to cook with basic ingredients that are both good for you and are delicious. 
Ingredients:
One bag of frozen, precooked shrimp (I get large and tail off)
One box of whole grain spaghetti of linguini noodles
One cup of grape tomatoes cut in halves
One bushel (usually about ½ - ¾ lb) fresh asparagus
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
¼ cup of white wine
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 pinches of sea salt
1/8 teaspoon of pepper
Instructions:
            Place a pot of water on a burner until water boils and toss in the noodles to cook. Thaw out the shrimp per directions on the bag.  While the water is reaching a boil, cut the ends off of the asparagus and cut them into thirds.  Heat olive oil on medium heat and toss in garlic and let it simmer for a minute.  Toss in asparagus and sauté until you have reached your desired crispness.  I do so for about 5 minutes.  Toss in the shrimp, grape tomatoes, white wine, sea salt, and pepper. Sauté with the asparagus for two minutes (enough time to heat them through but not cook them further).  Drain your noodles and place them into the pan of shrimp and veggies.  Toss and serve!  This will comfortably serve my family, but it is one of our favorites so leftovers are rare!

            You will have to excuse my directions.  I make up recipes as I go and do not measure things out.  I will work on this and document my recipes as I go along so I can write out instructions better.  Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions in regard to anything I write in my blog, including the recipes!  My kids like to add a little bit of parmesan cheese to their plates, but that is optional and the amount is up to the person who is eating it. J  The picture is also a shot from my iphone.  It looks much better in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment