Journey Toward a Healthier Lifestyle

Welcome to my blog! I am often asked questions in regard to fitness and nutrition. I am no professional in either one of these fields, but I do know first hand the joys of trying to stay fit and healthy while being a full-time mom. It is easier than many think and I hope to help teach others (mothers or not) the best way to eat without devoting a great deal of money on the latest fad. It is about developing a lifestyle change that you can benefit from and pass on to your children and loved ones. My husand and I have both seen and felt the positive results of what I am sharing with you and I hope you do as well. Enjoy!



Thursday, July 28, 2011

What Drives You?

            What drives you to eat?  There are many reasons why someone reaches for food and begins to eat that goes beyond just being hungry.  Some eat when they are lonely, bored, depressed, or because they are in a social setting and there is food all around them.  There is an endless list of reasons that one decides to stick their head in the refrigerator or pantry in hopes of finding a way to drown something out or simply out of habit.  I have heard people say that food does not judge and is always there when they need comfort.  How comforting can something be if you are now consumed with guilt and regret over eating an entire pan of brownies or carton of ice cream?  While the immediate gratification is nice, is it worth it to add another emotion that is anything but positive and lasts much longer than the pleasure? 
            It can be difficult to figure out the reasoning behind why we eat, but it can be a very important aspect of staying healthy.  Many of us can sit back and eat healthy for a short period of time but if an underlying issue as to why one overeats is not addressed then they may be destined to slip back into an unhealthy state of mind.  Sometimes the most rewarding things in life are those that you work hard for.  If everyone was the same and everyone was living healthy I do not think there would really be a point for my blog.  But we are not all healthy eaters and live a healthier life.  Here is something to think about.  Living unhealthy impacts more than just you, it impacts those around you as well.  For mothers is it something that we pass on to our children whether intentional or not.  For those with a significant other it impacts them when they are holding your hand because you had a health problem that could have been avoided if you simple treated yourself better.  And of course it does impact you in many different ways.  Not just mentally, but physically as well.
            In a perfect world you could eat whatever you wanted and not have to worry about health or fitness.  This is anything but a perfect world and we cannot dilute ourselves into thinking that next week/month/year will be the time to start.  Why not today?  And to view it as a “diet” will only imply that it is temporary.  Fad diets are fads that come and go like a spring collection in a fashion magazine.  Does anyone want to replace two meals a day with a dinky shake for the rest of their lives? 
            Either later on today or tomorrow (pending homework and how much I can get done) I will be mapping out a strict meal plan for my husband.  Not a great deal will change in the groceries that I buy, but he is a creature of habit and routine just like many others out there and it helps to add motivation.   Developing meal plans does help with staying on track as well as the grocery bill.  It helps to prevent unnecessary additions in the grocery cart each week which can be nice on the budget.  He is my handsome guinea pig for his particular body type and seeing the best way to place him in the healthiest position he could possibly be in.  I just wish I started this blog when he began his transformation back in February.  There was such a change in that time period that I will only be able to reflect on now. 
            As I end my glorious ramblings of the day, I hope you are able to think about why you may not be where you want to be.  Is it emotional eating?  Perhaps it is your own view on eating healthy and just using the term “diet” instead of embracing it as a lifestyle change.  Tomorrow I will write about my grocery store staples.  My staples may not work for everyone, but it is a useful tool to help others figure out what may work the best for them.  I will include a list of things that I absolutely avoid like the plague and never have in my house. 
Please feel free to e-mail me and help spread the word!  I appreciate all of the wonderful feedback I have been getting from my wonderful friends on Facebook.  The support and kind words mean a great deal to me.  Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment