Journey Toward a Healthier Lifestyle

Welcome to my blog! I am often asked questions in regard to fitness and nutrition. I am no professional in either one of these fields, but I do know first hand the joys of trying to stay fit and healthy while being a full-time mom. It is easier than many think and I hope to help teach others (mothers or not) the best way to eat without devoting a great deal of money on the latest fad. It is about developing a lifestyle change that you can benefit from and pass on to your children and loved ones. My husand and I have both seen and felt the positive results of what I am sharing with you and I hope you do as well. Enjoy!



Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Key to Success

            I am a firm believer that your self-perception is key in helping you succeed.  How you feel both physically and mentally are huge factors in whether or not you will reach a goal that you have set for yourself or falter and wonder why you are not where you want to be.  As I had mentioned previously, once you are in a healthy weight range for your height and build the best thing to do is to ditch the scale and focus on the reflection in the mirror.  Ask yourself a question.  What makes you feel better in the long run?  I know that I personally feel a bit guilty after I over indulge and physically feel lethargic and even a little bit sick.  The mental aspect of it is even worse than the physical.  We are our own worst critics and for many we allow other opinions influence our own.  Allowing someone else to dictate how I feel is something I no longer wish to do. 

            I promised a real mom’s guide to a skinnier waistline.  In the end that title for my blog was picked because I thought it sounded catchy.  Over all it is about being in a healthier state of mind and body to ensure you treat yourself the way it deserves.  Exercise and healthy eating can lead to a higher self-esteem and better mood.  I know this from experience.  A factor in my self-perception continually growing is how I treat myself.  I only get one body; I may as well treat it right!  I am pretty sure I won’t be allotted another one if this one ends up turning into something I am not content with.  A great deal of things in our life is a choice.  A wonderful woman recently told me that and it helped me gain a better understanding of how I can make my goals possible. 
            Some people reach a point in their life where they are not content with what they see in the mirror.  If one makes the conscious decision to do something about it and chooses to commit to what they have to do, goals can be reached.  The feeling of success and not giving up on the goals I set for myself feels so much better than an Angus burger from McDonald’s.  Teaching my children great habits they will take with them for the rest of their lives is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment I cannot get from any drive-thru or pint of Ben and Jerry’s.  There is a lot more to working out and setting healthier goals than the physical aspect.  How we feel about ourselves and our own self-concept are key factors that I feel are often overlooked. 
            I will end with reiterating the fact that virtually all aspects of our lives are a choice we make.  We choose to feed into criticism just as much as we make the conscious choice to reach for that burger and fries.  For those who are unhappy about the shape they are in, it is something you can change.  Even for the individuals who may read my blog and feel as though they tried everything they could to no avail, you are able to do it with the right amount of effort and guidance.  I have begun to shorten the time of regret over eating something that was less than healthy and just accepted it and just moved forward with the mindset that I do not want to feel that way again.
            I choose not to simply leave this blog as a list of recipes and physical ways to improve your health.  For a great deal of individuals it is about so much more than just the outside that they need to evaluate in order to continue on a healthy path, but the inside as well.  If you can smile at who you see in the mirror and be proud of what you see and who you are then you truly are healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment